Knee pain is a very common medical condition that occurs to anyone due to constant wear and tear of the knee joint. You would be surprised to know that women are more vulnerable to knee pain than men. I would discuss all the home remedies for knee paint but before they can let me tell you that it can occur at any location of a knee. The pain can originate in any of the bony structures compromising the knee joint (femur, tibia, and fibula), the kneecap (patella) or the ligaments and cartilage (meniscus).There are several causes of pain in the knees that are weakened bone structure and wear and tear due to aging and so on so forth. In addition to pain, you may have symptoms like stiffness in the knee, noticeable swelling, redness, numbness in the affected leg and difficulty walking or standing.
Top 10 Home Remedies For Knee Pain
It is indeed one of the best and easiest ways to reduce pain and swelling. If you have suffered a knee injury, ice compress will work quickly to bring down swelling and pain. Even in the case of arthritis in the knee, ice helps in a tremendous way, reducing the burning sensation and inflammation. There are a lot of patients who have done knee replacement surgery can also use ice packs along with medications for pain management.
- Put 3 to 4 ice cubes in a flannel cloth that wraps a handful of ice cubes in a thin towel.
- Apply the compress to the affected knee area for 10 to 20 minutes
- Ice compress will give immediate relief from the pain. You can use it 3 to 4 times in a day until swelling has come down sufficiently
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is, in fact, my healthy pantry necessities of food items as it is helpful in reducing knee pain and helps in weight loss. Applying it topically helps reduce the stiffness in case of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in two cups of filtered water. Sip this mixture throughout the day. Drink this tonic daily until you recover completely.
- You can also add two cups of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of hot water. Do this once daily for a few days.
- Mix together one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil and do it as a massage therapy on the affected knee once or twice daily until the pain is gone.
Gelatin and Cherry
Gelatin and cherry couldn’t be a tastier cure than this for treating knee pain. Thus they both are foods for healthy eating- to eat the best, look the best.This is due to the fact that gelatine increases the bone cartilage and can, therefore, provide some relief to people with mild osteoarthritis of the knee. Tart cherries, on the other hand, work as anti-inflammatory agents.
- Add 2 tablespoons of gelatin to ½ cup of tart cherry juice.
- Consume the mix.
Gin Soaked Raisins
- Raisins are soaked in gin for 7 to 10 days
- Consume 9 gin-soaked raisins daily
You can see your symptoms improve between 1 and 8 weeks depending on the severity and nature of the pain.
Castor oil is one of the 7 powerful remedies for acne that you haven’t tried I guess due to the fact that this is quite effective for pain management as it benefits the skin and targets the inflamed tissues directly. Its anti-inflammatory properties have made it a popular remedy for arthritis pain, sciatica, and back pain.
- Warm up some castor oil.
- Massage the oil over the aching knee in small circular motion.
- Allow the oil to work overnight.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that acts as a knee pain relief. Capsaicin’s has some pain-relieving properties which produce a warm sensation and reduce pain in the affected knee.
- Get the mixture prepared by adding two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder in one-half cup of warm olive oil. Apply this paste on the affected area twice daily for at least one week.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in one cup of apple cider vinegar. Soak a cloth in that and apply it on the aching area for.
One of the knee pain medicine is ginger. This is due to the fact it alleviates the pain. Its effectiveness comes from the presence of anti-inflammatory compounds in it.
- Add to one cup of water with a small piece of fresh ginger root, and boil it for 10 minutes. Add a little honey and lemon juice. This way you can have a ginger tea.
A couple of knee pain exercises could also help relieve pain and prevent further injuries. Some of them are-
# Straight Leg Raise
Do straight leg raise 10 to 15 times for each leg
- Lie on your back on a flat surface.
- Bend one knee and place your foot flat on the floor.
- Keeping the other leg straight, raise it to the height of the bent knee.
- Hold it for 5 seconds, and then bring it to rest.
Repeat 10 to 15 times for each leg. Do 2 to 3 sets for each knee.
# Calf Raise
Do 3 sets of calf raise every day
- Stand facing the back of a sturdy chair or the back of a couch.
- Slowly raise the heels as high as you can.
- Hold on for 5 to 10 seconds, and then lower down.
Repeat 10 to 15 times and do 3 sets to get rid of knee pain.
Lemon has also been found beneficial as a home remedy as it is used for treating arthritis for a knee.
- Take a lemon and cut into small pieces.
- Make a knot of the pieces in a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil.
- Place the cloth on the affected knee for five to 10 minutes.
Also, make it a habit to drink the juice of one lemon diluted in a glass of warm water early in the morning.
Turmeric relieves from Inflammation which indeed is one of the vital cause of joint pain and swelling. It takes place due to the body’s attempts to repair damage at a particular site.
- Take one-half teaspoon each of ground ginger and turmeric to a cup of water. Add them and boils it for 10 minutes. You can add honey to taste and enjoy twice daily.
- Boil one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Sweeten with honey and drink it once daily.
- Don’t indulge yourself doing running or intense aerobics when suffering from knee pain.
- To keep yourself active you can opt for swimming, jogging in water, or water aerobics.
- Avoid running after an injury. Also, walk on flat and soft surfaces.
- Avoid heat for up to 72 hours after a knee injury as heat exacerbates inflammation.
- Eat healthy for healthy bones and to maintain optimum weight.